Thursday, May 13, 2021

I created a monster

image credit: conradbrunstrom.wordpress.com
In 2014, I created a monster.

I wrote a work of viral fake-news, completely unintentionally.

I'm not going to retell the story; you can follow the link above for that. But since then, my "Bibi speech" has been resurrected and gone viral again twice - in 2019 and now, in 2021. And, moreover, it's been translated into Spanish and Russian (though I haven't seen it in Hebrew yet). I even got a mention on Snopes!

I feel a kind of guilty pride about this. I mean, I wasn't specifically intending for my openly fictional prose to get copypasta'd and circulated as if it were real. But the fact is, it clearly touched and resonated with a huge number of people, who were inspired to forward it to an average of eight hundred of their closest friends (I may be approximating here, but then, it's well documented that 84% of all statistics are invented on the spot). It seems that every time Israel goes into yet another round of fighting with Hamas, my monster, seemingly of its own volition, creaks open the top of its coffin, lurches out into cyberspace, and storms around the world, now in multiple languages.

I don't have much more to say about this story, because I'm still processing the meaning of it all, and with the current situation and my personal responsibilities, I don't really have time to wax lyrical.

I will, however, take advantage of the attention I'm receiving to post a brief commercial message: 

If you enjoyed my writing, there's more of it. I've written a pretty darn good novel, plus a few short stories. Go and get some of the free stuff here.

I also write speeches for the Prime Minister of Israel. Hey, it's his problem if he doesn't want to use them...





1 comment:

LiviaOnline said...

Your 'Bibi speech' is going to make history.

Sooner rather than later, he or another prime minister is going to use it, and follow through on its promises.

And the shape of the world will be changed.